What spiritual activities are you involved in? What secular activities are you involved in? Sometimes it is hard to parent through these questions because the answer is: all activities should be spiritual! See what camp staff member, Jean Marie, has to say about her experience with this topic.
So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31
During high school my passions were playing sports and being involved in my youth group. I took my involvement and commitment in both very seriously yet I didn’t allow them to mix. I had two different identities… Team Captain/I will do whatever it takes to win and Youth group/praising God on Sunday, Wednesday and Camp.
The inevitable collision came when my youth leader asked when my next game was so she could watch me play. My first thought was “Oh NO, you can’t come… you wouldn’t like the other Jean Marie!” During this time I felt God really telling me how He wants all of me all of the time. I read Revelation 3:15-16 “I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish that you were one or the other!” Wow, I was really living a life of being lukewarm.
Could your child (or children) be experiencing this same conflict? Might you be as well?
Some things to consider:
- Did this all mean I had to quit sports? NO! It meant I had the opportunity to display Christ through sports that I was previously missing out on. It’s the same for you and your child!
- I should be living and reflecting His love in everything I do in my life. 1 Corinthians 10:31 says, “So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.” That’s right it’s on and off the court, at home, at school, at work, at camp and away from camp.
- Be willing to share with your child a time or an area in your life where it is hard to share your faith/live as a reflection of Christ. Ask them if they are having a similar issue in their life.
- Make a plan together for the first steps toward making changes and determine to follow up with them.
- What are some areas where it’s easier for you to live two different ways?
- Do you think your life would like different if you were always seeking to reflect Christ?
- Think of some positive outcomes if your focus was always to do everything to glorify the God?