Who better to be in constant communication with than the God Who loves us, guides us in His Truth and desires His best for us? Kelli directs us in ways we can kindly show our kids the greatness of spending daily, intentional time with Jesus.
Be Still and know that I am God, I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted on the earth.
Be Still. Stop. Slow down. God longs for us to be still and know that He is God. As vital as it is for us to take time to eat for our physical health, it is as vital for us to take time to be with God for our spiritual health. It is one of the most important disciplines we can have and instill in our kids.
But how? Let’s keep it simple.
- Model it. Let your kids see you make time and take time to be alone with Jesus daily. If you spend that time before they get up or after they are at school, then share with them what you are learning, what God is showing you, how it affected your day.
- Do it with them. Take the five minutes of your mornings … at the breakfast table, waiting for rides, in the carpool and read a devotional or scripture together.
- Equip them. Ask them what they desire to learn…Do you want to know about a certain book of the Bible, know more about the character of Christ, be challenged how to live more like Christ? Focus in on their best learning style. Do they soak in more from music, writing, listening or drawing? Equip them. Make sure they have their own Bible. Go to your Christian book store and let them look through the devotional books and see what catches their eye. Also set aside a specific area of your home for this time. Set them up for success.
- Continue on. Ask them what they are learning. Be careful not to make it like homework, but instead sharing what the Lord is teaching them as they are quiet with Him. Be ready to share what you’re learning too!
A few of our favorite suggestions:
- For youngers: Prayer Works, Jesus Calling for Kids, The Biggest Story, I Am: 40 Reasons to Trust God, Indescribable
- For teens: Jesus Calling, Being with Jesus
- Online: The Bible Project, First 15, Crosswalk
- Apps: She Reads Truth, He Reads Truth, The Bible Project
- Blog: Lesley Ryden, one of our Mother-Daughter Speakers, gifted great suggestions to our weekend families we think you will enjoy too!
Joshua 1:8 says, “The Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.”
What if, as a family, you took this month and began to spend time with Jesus every day … sometimes together, sometimes on our own?
Why do you think it’s important to spend time with God every day? What’s your favorite way to spend time with Him? If you could have Jesus teach you about ANYTHING, what would it be?