Ask God for Big Things
What’s the biggest, baddest thing you’ve experienced God doing? Didn’t that ignite your faith…if even for a little while! Jess reminds us of the powerful God we serve who is able to do more than we ask or imagine. Let’s go BIG when it comes to talking to God!
May’s Topic Theme: “The God Life”
Truly I tell you,” Jesus replied, “if you have faith and do not doubt, not only will you do what was done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, ‘Be lifted up and thrown into the sea,’ it will happen. If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask in prayer.” Matthew 21:21-22
One of the sweetest parts of my role at camp is that I get to study the Bible with our Sports Camp gals staff every summer. What has become somewhat of a tradition in the past few summers is our discussion about the power of praying in belief. Our faith grows when we see God answer our prayers – it’s a cycle.
It’s pretty fun to see our Sports Camp girls pray huge things for the campers in their cabins after our time together. Even more fun is watching their faith catapult to new depths when God answers their prayers for your kids specifically! Here are several specific steps for growing faith and watching God do great big things through prayer.
- Study Jesus’ faith. What does scripture say about the way Jesus prayed? John 17 is a perfect example of our faith filled Savior’s prayer life. First He praised God for His power over this world and His ability to answer prayer. Next He confidently pleaded with His Father specifically about the needs of the world. Finally, He professed His commitment to the Father and watched as God displayed His power through answered prayer.
- Watch, study and learn. Who do you know with radical faith? Maybe even a specific example from scripture comes to mind (like Ezekiel 37:4-14). How has God answered their prayers? When we surround ourselves with faithful people, often the Holy Spirit stirs our affection for God similarly and our faith grows. Ask these friends to share specific prayers God has answered in their own life. Hearing and watching God answer the prayers of other believers causes us to believe God for bigger things in our own stories.
- Try it out. Pray BIG! Ask God for a specific need. Use God’s Word to do so. What character quality can you note from scripture displaying God’s ability to answer your request? Praise Him for it and ask the Holy Spirit to help you to believe God to answer (Mark 9:24).
- Take note. As you ask God for specific things, write them down. Weeks later, go back and make note of all the ways God has answered your prayers. Years later, take a look at how He ultimately worked out (Romans 8:28) even the situations where He didn’t answer like you hoped He would.
Watching God’s activity through our prayer life is a gift from God. I think God wants us to pray big…by doing so He can grow our faith and by extension the faith of others in the One Who is faithful.
- Who do you know trusts God to take care of them?
- What is something you could ask God for?
- What do you know about God that makes you think He’ll answer your prayer?