How to Value Honesty-Even in the Small Things
When we’re convinced God is FOR us and not trying to rip us off from fun in this life it is easier to do what’s right-even when no one is looking. Jess shares truth on why there is such great worth in honesty!
Whoever walks in integrity walks securely, but whoever takes crooked paths will be found out. Proverbs 10:9
Recalling illustrations for this post was way too easy, unfortunately. I’m humbled to admit the number of times I’ve taken the easy route to avoid difficult consequences.
From sharing only part of the truth with my parents growing up to disobeying traffic laws as an adult, my human nature is to take the path of least resistance whenever I’m able. Fortunately, God cares a lot about His kids doing what’s right (even when no one is watching) so He continues to kindly lead me to repentance for my poor choices.
Scripture tells us integrity is important! Proverbs 10:9 contrasts it with “taking crooked paths.” Let’s unpack a few reasons why we should have integrity:
- When we have integrity people will trust us. It’s easy to trust people who have integrity. When someone has integrity, we never have to wonder if they will do what they say they will do. When you do what’s right even when no one is watching, it’s likely people will give you more responsibility, rewards and trust.
- God says whoever walks in integrity will walk safely/securely. Any time God makes a promise about something, I want to tune in. This Proverbs 10:9 promise reminds us we can walk safely when we follow Christ. The Holy Spirit in us guides us. When we follow him, we walk with integrity, and He will make us confident and secure.
- When we don’t have integrity, people will find out. When people are dishonest it’s typically because the only way we see we can get what we want is not to tell the truth. Usually we’re convinced no one will know, but scripture tells us whoever takes crooked paths will be found out. The Bible says we canNOT get away with dishonesty.
Having integrity can be tough. Often it’s easier and seems more fun and exciting in the moment to cut corners, be dishonest or take the simpler route when no one is watching. But God sees, and He has called us to something so much better than cutting corners or “taking the crooked path.” My hope is that you don’t have to learn the hard way so many times like me. Choose to do what’s right because it matters to your Heavenly Father (who is only interested in good for you!)…even if no one else sees.
- What is an area in your life where you struggle to do what’s right?
- Who is someone in your life that you can trust because they have integrity?
- Share your struggle to do what’s right with someone you know who has integrity.